file va claim

We’ve all heard the horror stories about how long and painful the process can be to file a VA claim. Everyone who has been through the process knows it can take many months at the best of times, and in worse scenarios, years. There are a few ways to make things easier on yourself however – file as soon as you can, and get a professional to help with the paperwork.

The VA’s Quick Start program allows service members to file their VA claim up to 59 days before their date of separation. Information on the program availability is available on the VA site.

Whether you’re still on active duty, or you’ve been out a while though, I highly recommend getting help with filing your VA claim. Fortunately, many veteran’s service organizations (VSOs) have Service Officers who are trained and paid by the VSO to file VA paperwork and assist with claims and appeals.

If you are still on active duty you will probably only need your medical records, marriage certificates, and children’s birth certificates and SSN’s, but check with your service officer to make sure you have all you need.

AMVETS, the VFW, and the American Legion all provide Service officers free of charge, and membership in the organization is not required. Go to one of their sites to find a service officer near you.

Have you had trouble filing your VA claim?